Jews of India Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2017, 11:50:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
If you would like to post to this forum please use our contact page at the link below. Let us know you're interested in posting messages to our forum.
http://www.jewsofindia.org/contact.html

Subscribe to our free newsletter.
187 Posts in 148 Topics by 89 Members
Latest Member: elijahnathan
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Jews of India Forum
|-+  News
| |-+  In The News
| | |-+  Indian Jews find promised land here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indian Jews find promised land here  (Read 1755 times)
ABS

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:57:14 PM »

Link sent to me by Raymond:
http://www.livemint.com/Articles/2007/06/22221125/Indian-Jews-find-promised-land.html?atype=tp

My opinion is that as with most people who immigrate to a new country, this transition can be very difficult. I spent my childhood and teen years in Israel. Therefore, growing up there wasn't as challenging. But I know, people like my parents who moved to Israel in their 30's found it challenging. And I think the description in the article is fairly accurate.

There is one relatively big error made by the author:
"And as a global debate rages over whether Indian Jews even qualify as Jews..."

There is no "global debate" of such kind. It was true at the time of the creation of Israel. Bene Israel received full recognition in 1964. Granted it's unfortunate that such discrimination existed, but there is no debate about this globally.

Recently the Bnei Menashe had issues (and I think still do) with making Aliyah to Israel. But if the author is referring to the Bnei Menashe, then such distinction should be mentioned and should have not used the all inclusive term "Indian-Jews" (as it includes all 4 groups).

ABS

* Indian Jews find promised land here.pdf (29.03 KB - downloaded 308 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: